Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Apple iPhone it is about the software!

As Apple continues to reinvent itself with the PCs, the entertainment, and the iPhone it is not hurting the stock price or future revenue growth. I think the talk about the iPhone (spend some time on the discussion boards - Macworld, etc.) revolves around the polar opposites, either people love the phone or they hate it as they feel it is missing this feature. Many of these features are part of the hardware of the unit (camera, etc.), others are part of the software. I do think the important innovation from Apple related to this phone is not the hardware but the software. The App store will have about 800 third party applications for use with the iPhone (a large portion of these at no additional cost!). I think this is the area of growth for the future related to this product.

On a related note, there seems to be a shortage of phones (I was supposed to go to a store to get one on Friday (July 18th) but I am not sure the store by me will have one. Especially since I can't get there until about 11:00 a.m. and there is sure to be a huge line (though I expect it to be less than last week).

Finally, I find a lot of the chat rooms humerous at this point since the longest anyone could have owned and used an iPhone is 6 days (counting today), and many of these posts are from a day or two after purchase and the writer is extolling the virtues or complaining that this is the biggest ripoff in all of retail! I just find it amusing that someone can be so sure and confident about something with only 24-48 hours of use! Now, if someone can help me decide whether I should spend the extra $100 for the 16 GB instead of settling for the $8 GB, that would help!!!

No comments: